Executive Board Members
Dr. Alhaji N’jai, Founder & Chief Strategist
Dr. N’jai is a native of Sierra Leone whose research has focused on toxicology, genomics, immunology, stem cell biology and systems biology. In addition he is an Adjunct Faculty at the University of Sierra Leone (USL) and Njala University. He is a co-host of the Pan Africa Radio show on WORT 89.9fm.
Dr. Linda Vakunta, Executive Director
Dr. Vakunta is the Executive Director for Project 1808 Inc. She holds a PhD in Environment and Resource from the Nelson Institute for Environmental studies. She is a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor with a graduate degree in rehabilitation psychology from UW-Madison, and has led several successful field visits to Sierra Leone since 2011. She co-hosts the Pan Africa radio show on WORT 89.9. She is currently based in Sierra Leone as a post-doctoral researcher and country coordinator for the Ebola Host Pathogen Response Study, a partnership between Project 1808, the University of Wisconsin-Madison and University of Tyoko.
Casey Kalman, Associate Director and Student Organization Advisor
Casey is a recent graduate of the University of Wisconsin – Madison where her studies focused on international global health and environmental studies. She was a member of the first cohort of students to visit Sierra Leone in 2013 and has volunteered her time with Project 1808 ever since. Currently, Casey is working full time, but plans to pursue a Masters in Public Health with a focus on International Health and Development.
Diana Chioma Famakinwa, Partnership Coordinator
Diana C. Famakinwa is currently a Ph.D. student in Educational Policy Studies at the University of Wisconsin – Madison, focusing on Comparative and International Education and African Studies. Her research examines the internationalization of higher education in the United States and sub-Saharan Africa.
Delphine Vakunta, Cross-Network Program Coordinator
Delphine Vakunta holds a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is a multi-lingual professional has worked internationally in Cameroon, Haiti, Dominican Republic and Sierra Leone on varying issues pertaining to sustainable development around education, youth empowerment and program management.
Dr. Ly Pham, Executive Board Member, Fundraising Committee
Dr. Pham graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison with a degree in Molecular and Environmental Toxicology. Her research area focuses on understanding the molecular pathways in liver cancer. She is currently a research fellow at the National Center for Computational Toxicology.
Ishmail Barrie, Mohamed Dabor and Alhaji H. Kamara, Country Staff
Our Kabala Coordinators work tirelessly to develop and strengthen community engagement programs while managing the day-to-day logistics of all Project1808 activities on the ground.
Project1808 also sponsors a formally organized student organization at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a similar organization of twelve undergraduate students in Sierra Leone.
- University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Global Health Institute
- Department African Studies
- Molecular and Environmental Toxicology
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- PEOPLE Program
- First Wave
- University of Sierra Leone
- Njala University (Sierra Leone)
- University of Makeni
- University of Tokyo
- Kalamazoo College
- Harvard University Research Program on Children and Global Adversity
- United Nations Department of Public Information Program (UN DPI NGO)
- UW Madison Village Health Project
- Marquette Neighborhood Association (Madison, WI)
- O’Keefe Middle School
- Wisconsin School for the Blind and Visually IMpared (Janesville, WI)
- Wisconsin Medical Project (WMP)
- Slow Food UW
- CARITAS (Harvard University)
- Memory Project
- E-Luminate, Inc (Madison, WI)
- NarSarah Clinic (Kabala, Koinadugu, Sierra Leone)
- Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary (Sierra Leone)
- Koinadugu District Okada Association
- Koinadugu Petty Traders Association
- Koinadugu District Education Directorate
- District Education committee Central Primary School
- District Education Committee Primary School, Bankolia
- District Education Committee Primary School, Yogomaia
- Missionary church of Africa Primary School, Yogomaia
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Kabala Secondary School (Sierra Leone)
- Ahmadiyya Secondary School (Sierra Leone)
- Loma Secondary School (Sierra Leone)
- Ministry of Youth Affairs (Sierra Leone)
- Koinadugu District Council
* This list includes both current and past partners